15.12.11

Don't over promote yourself part 2

Last week I told you about a presentation I had been and the mistakes I noticed. Now it is time to relate the mistakes to the person and see what we can get. Believe me, it will be funny to explore  human psychology and see how many conclusion we can come up with!

1) The first paragraph, is the speaker's perspective on a subject, not much to talk about it except from my prementioned objections.

2) Adjusting the presentation to the current reality. I think, in this example and generally, when someone doesn't adjust his thoughts to the current reality, it can be interpreted as follows : Lack of confidence and perception. I don't know much about the current reality and I only talk about the one I have on my mind, which is secure for me to present, since I know more about it.

3) Generalities. There are two options here. First you are bored to find some evidence which support your opinion but when you promote yourself as a professional this is totally unacceptable! Second, you don't actually know or practically found any results of what you present and only want to be considered as a pro.

4) Using two languages. Either you are incapable of using both at the same level, or you want to show off. If you are incapable, just use one for the main presentation and an other for terminology if needed. If you like to show off you are an idiot.

5) Promoting a work with not enough arguments to support it. Here as well, you either like to show off and pretend to be a pro or you are full of crap. When you send a resume to a company, you include your previous jobs and the same things should be applied for your audience. You worked for someone? Either give details about who was your employer or don't mention it at all!
6) Talking too much and repeating the same things. In this case you are either a woman or you don't have much to say. In the first case there is no much you can do about it (much kind and respect to the female readers :) ), in the second try to fill the time of the presentation with examples or dismiss your audience earlier.

7) Don't letting your audience speak. Totally unacceptable and totally unprofessional! Two things cross my mind in this sittuation. First you only want to do your job and don't care if the audience can keep up with your tempo or you believe you are incapable to support your opinion with arguments.

So don't over promote yourself when you are naked. First wear some clothes and then try to behave like a king! Talking about your education and your collaborations won't give you any credit and reliability ( at least in my eyes ), specially when a simple presentation lacks of professionalism!

0 comments: