14.1.12

Price determines the value?

Today's article was an instant inspiration, I was going to write a post purely about economics but it seems it will be postponed until next week. Yesterday my Panasonic pc headphones broke up and today I went shopping to buy some new, but instead of picking a well known and reliable brand, I chose Carrefour headphones. I saw the specs and a comparison with my previous Panasonics made me thought they worthed a try.  After all they cost only 11$ and 1 year guarantee is included. When I used them, I was impressed!! They sound so professional, like my 230$ headphones I use for my synthesizer (except from a minor bass gain)!! So the question came on my mind and is plain and simple, why pay for something that is more expensive and possible not as good as a cheaper brand?

nigga approved headphones

The first and more obvious reply in that is,because it might break up, well that's why you always buy a product with guarantee nigga! If it breaks the shop is obliged to replace the product, so simple! Of course if I need something to be 101% reliable and correspond to professional standards, it is obvious I 'll buy the most known and respected brand, but unless I want to complete a competitive task I don't see a point in that.

Typical examples of the pay more get less are fashion and electronics . Usually instead of just paying for the shirt, jean, dress, laptop, mobile phone etc., it's common to  pay 200%-1000% more just because of the brand! Let's see Apple for example. Indeed their laptops and cell phones are really good, but you can get much more if you pick a Dell laptop for example or see this comparison here between iphone 4 and Lg Optimus. Similar rules apply for clothes, why pay 200$ or even 100$ for a shirt when there are so many other brands selling similar products with less than 40$ having excellent quality!

The main reason why we see small brands appear everywhere, selling products with decent to good quality is China. Most of the products we consume have been manufactured there, meaning that Chinese have the "know how". It is pretty frequent to see a factory produce adidas shoes and abibas ( a hypothetic and antagonistic brand). If I want to create a new company, named Jack's mobile, I can contact some factories in China and tell them specifications for my phones, costs and talk a bit about design and then I can have it as soon as one week!! So simple!! It is highly likely to be produced by the same factories, big brands produce their cell phones and so the know how will be implemented in my phones as well!!

So before you buy next time, think twice!!

0 comments: