5.3.12

Hugo


After watching the Oscars last Monday I realized that I haven't seen some movies that had a lot of hype that night. One of them was Hugo. The movie took most of the technical Oscars so I expected that the hype that the movie takes 3D one step up should be true. Also lets not forget that it was directed by one of the most brilliant men of the cinema industry Martin Scorsese which most of the times is enough for a movie to be quality stuff. Anyway I watched the film, even though there is some time since it was first released, and here is my impression.


The movie is about a boy who lives in the train station of Paris, named Hugo. After losing his father the only thing he has left from him is a damaged automaton which he is dedicated on fixing. It sounds a bit simple for a plot but naturally the movie isn't only about that. The main point of the movie is dreams, well I can't say more because it would be a major spoiler. The plot and generally all the situations that happen give the movie a fairy tale vibe which is perfect. In general on that front everything is how is supposed to be. Also I have no complaints about the acting performances. Even Sacha Baron Cohen (the guy that played Borat) was surprisingly good in it.

As I said this movie is hyped to have one of the best 3D usage if not the best. Even James Cameron the director of Avatar has commented on it. To be honest after seeing many movies in 3D I wasn't expecting much. I was wrong . From the first frame of the movie which shows an overview of Paris I realized that. You get the feeling you are really there. Most of the movies use 3D just by throwing things on the screen but fail to use that technology the way it was supposed to. This movie uses 3D to get the viewer in the movie much like Avatar was using it. It is something you must see to understand really. Aside from the graphics the music was very good too. So the Oscars it got on the technical categories were perfectly justified.


The verdict: From the above it is easy to see that I think that Hugo is a very good movie. I would say a masterpiece but something was missing. The thing is I don't know what. The movie is nearly perfect in every way but after watching it I was left with a weird feeling of needing something more. So sadly I can't give the masterpiece rating although it may be worth of it. This as you understand doesn't diminish the value of the movie at all.

0 comments: