2.4.12

Wrath of the Titans review


Firstly I have to say that when I watched the first movie (Clash of the Titans) I didn't like it. It didn't have enough action,the impressive scenes were not as amazing as I would expect and the 3D part of the movie was so badly implemented that I was dizzy after the end of the movie. Generally when I leave the cinema wondering what more did that movie offer except from the scenes the trailer already provided something is wrong. So I was a bit suspicious when I heard about the sequel. The trailer left some promise, my brother insisted on seeing it and I had nothing better to do. Needless to say I went to see it and here is my point of view.


The plot: A decade after he killed the Kraken, Perseus is living as a  fisherman with his 10-year old son, Helius after the death of his wife. Meanwhile, a struggle for supremacy rages between the gods and the Titans. Weakened by humanity's lack of prayers, the gods are losing control of the imprisoned Titans and their  leader, Kronos, father of the brothers Zeus, Hades and Poseidon. The triumvirate had overthrown their powerful father long ago, leaving him to rot in the gloomy abyss of Tartarus, a dungeon that lies deep within the underworld. Perseus cannot ignore his true calling when Hades, along with Zeus' godly son, Ares , switch loyalty and make a deal with Kronos to capture Zeus. 

The plot serves as a way to provide Perseus with more deadly enemies and nothing more. That was totally expected. It was also expected that it wouldn't be accurate to greek mythology though sometimes it was funny because of this inaccuracy . Anyway I didn't have a problem with that. I went to see a movie after all not a history lesson. Anyway as the movie progresses the heroes encounter chimaeras, cyclops (es?), the Minotaur and of course Kronos himself. Naturally the previous sentence would be a spoiler but all those are shown in the official trailer so no surprises there. The pace of action and generally of what happens on the screen is far better than the first movie. Most of it isn't jaw dropping ,even though the final battle scene comes close, but I wasn't bored at any moment and that's good. I felt like watching God of War the movie (without the gore) sometimes for those that have played that game.

The last thing I am about to comment is the 3D. Contrary to the first movie this time it was decent. It wasn't on par with 3D masterpieces like Avatar or Hugo but at least you could realize that something was different. That was mostly done by the usual things coming towards you trick. At least I didn't cry for my lost extra money for seeing it 3D like I did with Clash. My final word is that it is a decent movie in the way of passing time but not something special.

0 comments: